1.28.2016

(Review) How to Catch a (Rock) Star by Gabrielle Aquilina

How to Catch a (Rock) Star
by Gabrielle Aquilina
Release date: May13th 2015
Publisher: So Vain Books
How To Catch A (Rock) Star

A story of sex, love and rock 'n' roll

Aspiring singer Lillie and American rock star Jed seem like the perfect fit from the moment they meet. The pair are inseparable, but Jed’s jet-set schedule of shows and after-parties limits the amount they can see each other. So when Jed invites Lillie to sing with his band on their tour, she says yes. Yes with some hesitation, that is. After finding out that her ex-boyfriend was hiding away a wife and child when they were dating, Lillie’s trust in men is fragile and she also suffers from severe stage fright. As the tour progresses, Jed and Lillie are fast becoming rock’s hottest couple but with obsessive fan girls, a claustrophobic tour bus and a resentful guitarist, things start taking a turn for the worse. Lillie’s dream of singing may have finally become a reality, but can it last? The odds are stacking up against them and then the unthinkable happens…




I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review
The moment I read the blurb I knew it's probably just going to be a few seconds before I requested a copy. I have to admit, I had high expectations for this book. The book is basically about our heroine Lillie who's actually super talented but was forced into working in an office instead, and guilty for unknowingly dated a married man, and our hero, the sweet and un-rock-star like Jerome (Jed) who is mysteriously hiding something. They met at a gig and sparks fly, But with different continents and a secret past, their relationship is not going to be that easy.

The beginning of the book had fulfilled a part of that expectations, it was kind of fast paced and super engaging. The writing style was neat and I was definitely in love. But then there comes the middle part.

The middle part of the book fell a bit short for me. I felt that somehow the pace became slower and it became those books with high plot potential but ended up telling about nothing, like nothing is happening. It then became a little bit boring that I felt like the author is just telling us about the character's (mostly Lillie's and Jed's) daily schedule while they're on tour. I woke up, I eat this, I saw this, Jed is being weird, Jed is so adorable, and so on. I was so ready to drop this book until! the peak of the conflict hits. BAM it was exciting again. It was painful, but the kind of fast paced, engaging, page-turning writing style that I loved is back.

Despite all that ramblings about the writing style, I do enjoy the plot and the characters. They were fun and definitely likable. So thumbs up for everything else. Overall, I had this love-hate relationship with this novel, as much as I felt disappointed with the middle part of the book I had to give the plot and other points a credit. The temporary slow pace was not such a big deal for me considering the other positive points, so I would totally still recommend this novel to you guys who love hot romance novels with a bunch of too-drool-worthy-to-be-true rock stars ;)

Rating:
3 EYES OPEN (3/5)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!